Friday, June 25, 2010

Authentic Mexican Tortillas




About two months ago, a woman in our ward offered to teach whoever wanted to learn how to make homemade tortillas. Now, I have tried making tortillas SEVERAL times over the past few years. I had tried several homemade recipes all of which ended up thick, gross and nasty. Then I tried making tortillas from a mix I got at the store-another HUGE failure. Oh well, I'm not Mexican and I had to come to terms with the fact that Cafe Rio was the only way I would ever eat simply delicious tortillas. I had to face that I couldn't make homemade tortillas-period.....until NOW! These are simple to make and taste great. They are a lot like the uncooked ones you can buy at Costco or Walmart, but there are zero preservatives in it and come out so fresh. So, I'm here to say: IT CAN BE DONE!



Homemade Tortillas
by Tonya L.

Makes 8 tortillas
Ingredients:
2 cups white all-purpose flour*
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
¾ cup warm water


Directions:

Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in shortening. Stir in water, mixing with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl and a ball forms. Turn out on to floured surface, sprinkle with flour, knead 10-11 times. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Pinch off section of dough little bigger than a golf ball. Pat or slap into circle shape. Roll out into thin tortillas, use plenty of flour so dough doesn’t stick or tear. (Plenty of flour is the key to making the tortillas thin enough). Cook on a dry griddle, heavy cast iron skillet, or Teflon pan. Cook just until bubbles appear, flip once. Keep cooked tortillas warm and soft by covering them with a clean kitchen towel until ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously! How are yours so nice and round!! I can't get them like that to save my life!

    ReplyDelete