Friday, December 11, 2009

Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

This is a recipe straight from my mother-in-law. She is a really good cook and helped me learn how to make this delicious bread recipe over Thanksgiving this year. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but I've been happy with the results of this recipe. This recipe also goes out to my friends in Nevada who have told me they have no clue how to make bread.....which is why I did the step by step pictures. Enjoy! Oh ya, and the slice of bread in the above picture has butter on it....which is why the color is slightly different than the loaf. I was in such a hurry to try a piece, I forgot about taking a picture haha!


Makes 4 loaves*
*Note(1 loaf recipe measurements in parentheses)

Mix the following in a large bowl (using a Kitchen Aide if avaiable):

6 C REALLY warm water (1 1/2 C)

1/2 C oil (1/8 C)

1/2 C honey (1/8 C)

1 TBS salt (3/4-1 tsp)



Add in the following order and blend:

The mixture will be thin.

6 C freshly ground whole wheat flour (1 1/2 C)

3 TBS instant yeast sprinkles (about 3/4-1 TBS)

3 TBS vital wheat gluten flour (about 3/4-1 TBS)






With the mixer on, keep adding whole wheat flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 6 additional cups if making a 4 loaf recipe, 1 1/2 additional cups if making a 1 loaf recipe.*
*Note: If not using a Kitchen Aide, then you must do the above step by hand. The dough becomes too thick and you can't use the hand mixer anymore. It doesn't take too long though, so don't let it discourage you! I should know....I don't have a Kitchen Aide.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bread pan(s).

Take dough out of bowl.

If making 4 loaves, cut into 4 equal pieces with a knife.

Knead dough for a minute or two on a floured surface.

\

Place dough into the bread pan and smash the dough down with your fist so it fills the bottom of the pan.








Place your hand on the dough and turn the bread pan over, so the dough comes out into your hand. Turn the dough over and place the dough back in the pan, tucking the bottom over and roll gently so the top is smooth and round.


Cover dough with a cloth and let rise until dough reaches the top of the pan or so, but don't let it rise above that point. Depending on the temperature in your home will depend on how fast the dough rises. I let the dough rise on top of the oven when it is preheating so it will rise faster.




Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown (for 1 loaf recipe). I haven't made the 4 loaf recipe so I'm not sure how long it would take to cook all 4 loaves at one time.

When done baking, use a rubber spatula to loosen the bread from the sides of the pan. Flip over and let the bread cool on a wire rack.
Side Note: My bread pan is way cheap, probably from the dollar store. I thought this would make a difference, but it worked out just fine. The bread was super soft and I have heard that having nicer pans helps the bread to cook more evenly and gives it a crispier, harder crust. Enjoy! And...please let me know how this works out for you!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to try this recipe out. I've needed a good whole wheat bread one and your directions are awesome. Quick question--what is vital wheat gluten flour and where can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete