Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Frog Eye Salad/Hawaiian Salad



About a week ago, I was having a sugar craving. I turned to my husband and asked him what I should make. This salad was his reply. I have good memories of my Grandma Diane making this for me every summer when I would go swimming out at their pool. It is super sweet, but is good for big parties or potlucks. Yum!


Frog Eye Salad

INGREDIENTS:

1 C sugar
2 TBS flour
½ tsp salt
1 ¾ C pineapple juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 TBS lemon juice
1 package (16 oz) Acini de pepe pasta
3 cans (11 oz each) mandarin oranges, drained
2 cans (20 oz each) pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice)
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 carton (9 oz) Cool Whip

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine sugar, flour and ½ tsp salt.

2. Gradually stir in pineapple juice and eggs.

3. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened.

4. Add lemon juice. Cool mixture to room temperature.

5. Boil pasta in salted, oiled water. Cook until done and drain. Rinse with water, drain again and cool to room temperature.

6. Combine egg mixture and pasta. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight in an airtight container.

7. Add remaining ingredients. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Refrigerate until chilled in airtight container.


**TIP**Make salad the day before planning to serve because it needs suffient time to set up. Otherwise, it will be runny.



*Salad may be refrigerated for as long as a week in airtight container. It may be frozen, though freezing somewhat alters the texture. Makes 25 servings.

Photo Source: All Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment