Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

I promise I do eat more than just junk at my house.....but I'm realizing I post A LOT of treats on here haha. Anyway, Activity Days rolled around and this is what I brought for the treat. I didn't say anything about the frosting, but one girl said, "This frosting is SO good." It made me happy :) Also, I am always looking for frosting recipes that don't call for shortening since I don't keep it on hand at my house.


Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Makes: about 3 2/3 cups
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
2 tsp vanilla
5 1/4 C-5 3/4 C powdered sugar (I think 4-4 1/2 C is plenty)
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
Beat cream cheese, butter, cocoa and vanilla with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. This frosts tops and sides of two 8-9 inch layers. (Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9x2-inch cake or 24 cupcakes). Cover and store frosted cake in the refridgerator.
*For regular Cream cheese frosting, leave out cocoa and add an additional 1/2 C powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment