Monday, January 23, 2012

Savory German Pancakes

I feel like I always need new breakfast ideas....so if you have any, let me know! Most people have had German Pancakes before. I personally don't make them often, not because they don't taste good, but because they are loaded with butter and white flour. Usually you top German Pancakes with syrup, fruit, Nuetella or whatever other sweet concoction you can come up with. I'm not dissing that, but sometimes it can be a sugar overload. Ok, it IS a sugar overload that nobody needs. :) This version adds in vegetables so it gives it a savory feel instead of a sweet feel. I changed the recipe a little to be a bit more healthy, but the original version is something I would make if I were serving this to a large gathering or company. I'll also add these were supposed to be more "puffy", but I accidentally mixed the butter in with the other ingredients so it weighed it down. It still was good, just not fluffy like its supposed to be. I gave the recipe for regular German Pancakes and then below that for Savory German Pancakes. Enjoy!
German Pancakes
6 eggs
1 C milk
1 C flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 C butter (I used 1/4 C)

Mix eggs, milk and flour in blender until smooth (I just used my Kitchen Aide). In a 9x13 pan, melt butter. Pour egg mixture over butter and bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. Check occasionally and its done when browned.


Savory German Pancakes
Same as above, except cook pancakes for 10 minutes. Take the half-cooked pancakes out of oven. Top with whatever chopped savory ingredients you desire. Options may include:

mushrooms
green onions
onions
olives
ham
sausage
tomatoes
peppers of every color

Put pancakes back in oven and cook another 10-20 minutes. It is done when browned on bottom and sides, and cooked in the middle. Top with cheese if desired and place back in oven for a few minutes to melt. Serve with pico de gallo, salsa or ketchup. Fruit is also a great side dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment