Monday, December 2, 2013

Mom's Pecan Pie

My absolute favorite pie right here.  So not good for you, yet soooo delicious.  A Thanksgiving staple at our home.

1 C karo syrup (clear, not dark)
1 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C melted butter
1 heaping cup of shelled, whole pecans (have used 1 1/2 c as well)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt


Mix all ingredients well and pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie shell. Place tin foil around the crust of pie so it only covers the crust and leaves the pecan portion exposed (keeps crust from burning).  Bake at 350 for *45-50 minutes.  *In my last home, I had to add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.  In my current home, the oven cooks hotter so I didn't have to add on as much baking time.  It shouldn't "jiggle" if you shake the rack.  A cookbook I was reading said that a knife should come out clean and that will mean its done.  I haven't used the knife test, but will do so next time I bake this pie.  After removing pie from oven, remove the tin foil (crust should be golden brown).  Let stand until cool.  Pie will thicken as it stands.  

Recipe Source: My mom
Photo Source: Last Call for Corn

No comments:

Post a Comment