Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Best Breadsticks

Mel's Kitchen Cafe has done it again!  These breadsticks are amazing and incredibly fast to make.  Below you will find Mel's directions from Mel's Kitchen Cafe but I did things a little differently.  I sprayed the pan with pam instead of butter.  I also baked them plain, without any seasoning.  I buttered the breadsticks and seasoned with garlic salt and asiago cheese after they were done baking.  i then placed them back in the oven for a minute so the cheese would melt.  my whole family loved them!  they would go well with any kind of soup or spaghetti.  I have also made this recipe and wrapped them around hotdogs to make "mummy dogs" for halloween or "pigs in a blanket" for a regular meal.  its no wonder I can't lose the last 5 pounds of pregnancy weight! enjoy!
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 ½ cups warm water
  • 1 tablespoon instant yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 ½ cups flour (I usually use a combination of unbleached all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour but use whatever you have on hand!)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted (for the baking sheet)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix all ingredients (except melted butter) in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread melted butter onto an 11X17-inch baking sheet. Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly if desired and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs of choice (I vary this depending on my mood but it usually consists of rosemary, basil, or thyme in some form and crushed finely) and parmesan cheese.
  2. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.


Picture and Recipe Source: Mels Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment