Sunday, December 13, 2015

Perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate

Perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate

Since we now live somewhere with a cold season (yay!) I introduced my kids to hot chocolate.  I never knew it was so simple to make.  I am never buying the packaged stuff again!  I also tried a recipe that you put into the crockpot with sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.  It was so rich....it reminded me more of pudding.  This recipe though tastes like classic hot chocolate.



The Perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe

1 TBSP Hershey's cocoa powder
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c milk (original recipe calls for skim, but I used 2%)
1 3/4 c milk (to add at later on)
Whipping cream (optional-Mels addition)

Directions (copied and pasted from the original source):
1. Stir together the cocoa powder and sugar in a medium saucepan.

2. The cocoa powder is going to be lumpy, and that’s ok. Just get them blended together.

3. Add 1/4 cup of skim milk. This is where the secret part comes in.  See how the cocoa and milk don’t want to mix together very easily?  We’re going to force them to love each other. 

4. How can you force it? By applying heat.  Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly.  

5. I let it boil for a minute or two, until the sugar is dissolved an no longer grainy.  Be sure to stir, stir, stir.  Don’t let it burn!

6. Once it’s all good and mixed together, I add the rest of the milk. I’m not going to lie—I didn’t even measure this out, I just poured straight from the jug.  I think it was about 1 3/4 cup.   If you like a super sweet hot chocolate you could add less, if you like it less sweet, add more milk. This recipe is totally flexible, folks.   

When you add the cold milk, you’ll need to turn the heat back up to get the temperature hot again.  You can let this simmer on the stove as long as you’d like, depending on how scalded your taste buds like to be when you sip hot drinks. When I make it for kids I don’t let it heat back up after adding the milk and it makes it just lukewarm enough for my six year old’s tender mouth.

Recipe Source : Unskinny Boppy

No comments:

Post a Comment