Monday, January 4, 2010

Fruit Crisp (Apple)



This is a dish I usually try to cheat and make more healthy. My husband recently asked me to STOP and just make it so it tastes good. So here you have it. A yummy taste good apple crisp.

Fruit Crisp (Apple shown above)
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

5 C sliced, peeled cooking apples, pears, peaches or apricots, or frozen unsweetened peach slices(I personally always leave the peel on for fiber reasons)
2-4 TBS granulated sugar (This is one thing you can omit and it still tasts great
1/2 C regular rolled oats
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon (I do 1/4 tsp nutmeg and cinnamon and it could even use more in my opinion)
1/4 C butter or margarine
1/4 C chopped nuts or coconut (I use chopped walnuts or pecans)

1. Thaw fruit if frozen. Don not drain. Place fruit in a 2 quart square baking dish. Stir in the granulated sugar.

2. For topping, in a medium bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts. Sprinkle topping over fruit.

3. Bake COVERED in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender with a golden topping. If desired, serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


Photo Source: Get Crocked

No comments:

Post a Comment