Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oatmeal Banana Muffins







I found this recipe online somewhere and was really impressed with it. Have you ever heard the joke about how its not ok to eat cake for breakfast, but a muffin is just fine?? Well, I'm NOT a sweet muffin person because I AM eating this for breakfast and I don't want it to have as much sugar in it as a candy bar. There are 2 versions to this recipe. The first is the original....sweeter and really good, the second is not nearly as sweet but I actually like it better for that reason alone. So, think about what your family will eat when making these yummy muffins. Maybe half milk-half apple juice concentrate would be the best option.

Oatmeal Banana Muffins



Mix in a large bowl:
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda



Mix in a small bowl:
3/4 C apple juice concentrate, thawed (for my version I substitute half milk half juice concentrate to reduce sweetness. You can even substitute all of the apple juice for milk, but it won't be sweet.)
1 egg, beaten
1 C ripe bananas (usually about 3), mashed
1/4 C raisins



Mix wet and dry ingredients and spoon into muffin cups. Muffins can be to the brim of the muffin tin. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes 12 muffins. If making "mini muffins" it makes 24.



*Optional: Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of muffin batter before baking.

Photo Source: My Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment