Friday, May 21, 2010

Vegetable Shepherd's Pie


So our family is big on vegetables. My husband grew up taking care of a HUGE garden with his family and grew up on eating freshly grown.....well...just about everything. I have had to learn to like a lot of vegetables. I ate vegetables growing up, just nothing too exotic. I now shop for all my produce at a farmers market because Walmart has burned me just way too many times. Lets face it: Walmart does NOT have everything. ;) Our family also tries to eat meatless meals around 3 times a week by substituting beans or other protein sources for the meat. Somethimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't. I think our society eats WAY too much meat and its not necessary to have it at every meal. See the book, "The China Study" for more information on this topic.

Anyway, this recipe is really good for a meatless dish. Its hearty and filling. I added a can of green beans to the recipe because I was out of frozen peas and it worked well. Also, the "gussied up" mashed potatoes add a yumminess that makes this meal satisfying. Go for it...try it.....GO MEATLESS :)

Vegetable Sheperd's Pie
Ingredients:
1c diced carrots
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2lb frozen peas, (don't thaw)
3/4-1c corn
1-2tsp olive oil
2Tbsp worchestershire
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp ketchup
salt and pepper

For mashed potatoes:
3-4 medium-sized potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1/4c milk (I use skim)
sour cream (I usually use about 1/4c)
salt and pepper
3/4 c cheese of choice (cheddar, white cheddar, gruyere, parmesan, etc.)

Directions:
Prepare mashed potatoes by washing and peeling the potatoes and halving them. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until very tender and starting to fall apart. Drain and stir in butter and milk. Add salt, pepper, and sour cream to make a sturdy mashed potato (you don't want it watery or thin). While potatoes are still quite warm, stir in about 3/4c of your desired cheese and stir until well combined and cheese is mostly melted.

Meanwhile, in a large pan, saute carrot, celery, and onion in olive oil until cristp-tender (this took me about 5 minutes. You want it to have a little bite left since it will cook longer in the oven). Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in corn, tomato paste, and worchestershire sauce. Cook 2-5 minutes or till sauce thickens slightly. Stir in additional worchestershire or tomato paste as necessary. Stir in 1 Tbsp ketchup. Cook 1-2 minutes and taste. Season as necessary, then stir in peas. Pour into a 2qt casserole dish (I use my round one or my 11 x 7). Top with mashed potato mixture. Rough up the surface of the potatoes with a fork (I usually just make a design).

Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or till potatoes start to turn golden or you can't wait any longer.

Source:
http://mymuffinthursdays.blogspot.com/2009/01/vegetable-shepherds-pie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment