Thursday, May 26, 2011

Creamy Spinach & Tomato Tortellini




I made this recipe last night and it was super yummy. The garlic, onion, fresh basil and parmesan cheese just make this dish full of flavor. The basil came right from our herb garden. Score!! I also used REAL cream....something I've never done before. I usually don't have it onhand so I generally substitute whole milk. Using real cream was really good....I just won't think about the calorie content ;) I also loved that it was meatless. Even my two year old ate it so thats really saying something too. I also used fresh tortellini from the refidgerated section in the store (usually on the aisle by the pasta sauce). The fresh stuff is about twice as much as frozen and I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between fresh and frozen.



Creamy Spinach & Tomato Tortellini


Serves 4

1 16 oz package tortellini (fresh or frozen)

2 TBS olive oil
1/2 C chopped onion
6 cloves minced garlic

1 9 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 C chopped fresh tomatoes or canned, drained
handful of fresh basil chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

1 C heavy whipping cream (Next time I'd consider adding a little more cream.)
¼ C parmesan cheese (REAL parmesan cheese is best)


DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook tortellini according to desired doneness according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.


2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.


3. Add basil, cooking for a minute to bring out the flavor.

4. Add spinach, tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


4. Stir in whipped cream and parmesan cheese; cook until mixture just comes to a boil.


5. Reduce heat to low and stir in tortellini. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with additional cheese if desired.

Photo Source: Butter With a Side of Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment