Thursday, June 13, 2013

Harvest Grain 'N' Nut Pancakes




We love pancakes around this place!  I have had good results using this recipe for both pancakes and waffles.  See notes below for lots of other info, including how many this recipe serves!!

1 1/2 C old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 C buttermilk
1 C milk
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 C sugar (I omit this)
3 TBS chopped nuts (optional)


1.  Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine.  In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

2.  In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.  Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes.  Stir in nuts if desired.


3.  Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and preheat to a medium heat.  Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook pancakes for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  Top with additional nuts and syrup.


A note about the flours........I have found that recipes for pancakes using strictly whole wheat flour taste good, but very.....wheaty. ;)  Recipes using strictly oat flour are way more dense and flat than I would prefer.  Butttt.....this combination of both wheat and oat flour seem to be the best of both worlds.   It does take extra work to make these pancakes because you have to blend the oats up to make oat flour.  I like to double or triple the recipe, storing all of the dry ingredients in a gallon Ziplock bag.  Its then just like using Bisquick-just measure out the amount you want and add the wet ingredients.  Makes it go much faster and then you don't need to be making oat flour every single time you want these pancakes.



Also, I rarely have buttermilk so I generally use whatever milk I have on-hand.  I have used whole and 2%, but I plan on trying out skim milk next time.  I am sure all would be great.  The buttermilk does give it a great flavor though.  I have tried making my own buttermilk (putting 1 TBS lemon juice or vinegar in 1 C milk, letting sit 5 minutes), but I only notice a flavor change when using real buttermilk from the store.



***LAST, this recipe makes a lot.  Like 16 waffles a lot.  I generally half the recipe below to cook for my family of 4 eaters and put the rest in the fridge for another day.  My kids will eat leftover pancakes/waffles so for us its not a big deal to have a few extras.





Click here for photo source.  Recipe source: Allrecipes.  I got this recipe so long ago, I don't have an exact link for it.  :/

No comments:

Post a Comment