Friday, January 10, 2014

Chicken Souvlaki


Huge Greek fans at this house.  I have another Greek chicken recipe on this blog (click on the "Main Dishes: Greek" tab to the right of the screen to view it).  This recipe is similar, but I like a little variety every once in awhile.  We buy Naan flatbread at Costco and I also whip up some tzatziki sauce.  Add fresh tomatoes, onions and cucumbers.  My kids love this meal, but they prefer to eat everything separate and leave off the sauce.  Easy Peasy!


(I doubled the recipe below for my family and we had plenty of leftovers)
Chicken Souvlaki

1 TBS + 1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
10 oz boneless chicken breast, cut into strips


Prepare marinade and add to chicken.  Let sit at least 15 minutes in fridge (I like to do the prep work in the morning and let it sit in the fridge until I am ready to grill that evening).  Thread chicken on skewers and grill chicken over hot coals or on a broiler pan (I grill them) 4-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.  Turn frequently (if I am running short on time, I don't do the skewers and just grill).

Top with tzatziki sauce:


Tzatziki sauce: Yield 1 ½ Cups
-make a few hours ahead of time so the flavors have time to mix

16 ounces plain yogurt (the brand "Mountain High" works really well because it is thick)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 TBS olive oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
5-6 mint leaves, finely minced (optional)

Recipe Source:  My Sister in law Heather (I think)
Picture Source: Closet Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment