Thursday, January 2, 2014

Foster's Whole Wheat Bread

I made the leap about a month ago and now make all of my own whole wheat bread.  I have wanted to do this for a few years now and am so glad I finally did!  I know there are many great recipes out there and I have tried several using different ingredients, but this one is the one that seems to turn out the best for me in the high humid climate that I live in.  I got this recipe from a friend in my previous ward, Sister H. Foster, who lives in a dry climate, so it must be the universal recipe. :)  This recipe is famous! I bake two loaves at a time and freeze one for a later use.  I always make bread on a day when I will be home most of the day so it has plenty of time to rise twice.


Makes 2 2lb loaves
(original recipe doubled this amount, but my mixer won't hold that much dough)


Mix the ingredients below and let sit to activate yeast while assembling other ingredients.  The mixture should be foamy and frothy after 5 minutes or so.  If its not, your yeast is either dead or the water is too warm and you killed the yeast.  Try again with slightly cooler water if this happens.  

1 1/2 C warm water (not scalding, just really warm)
1 1/4 TBS active dry yeast (SAF brand recommended by  Sister Foster, but I use any kind)
1 tsp of sugar


While yeast is activating, mix the following in your Kitchen Aide mixer or Bosche with the dough attachment added.


1/4 C brown sugar
2 tsp salt


Add the following:
1 1/2 C natural apple sauce (if its been in the fridge, put it in the microwave until warm)
1/4 C oil

Add in the yeast and water mixture while the mixer is running.  Then add 1 cup at a time:

1 C bread flour
3 C freshly ground whole wheat flour

Add in another 3-4 C whole wheat flour until the dough is soft to the touch but not too sticky, one cup at a time.  Towards the end, add in the flour 1/4 c-1/2 c increments.  If you add too much flour, the bread will be dry.  The total amount of flour on my last loaf of bread was 6 1/3 c of whole wheat flour, but it depends on humidity and such so go by feel.  The sides of the bowl should be clean, not too sticky but not too stiff.  Its a learned art with a lot of tutorials online to help beginners.  Mel's Kitchen Cafe has this great tutorial.  Let the mixer knead for about 10 minutes.  Cover bowl with a damp towel and let rest until doubled in size. Dump dough out onto floured surface.   Cut dough in half, roll into dough shape and place into greased bread pans.  Cover and let rise again until bread is 1-2 inches above the pan.  Cook at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes, depending on your oven settings and pans.  Let bread sit in pans for about ten minutes, but no more than that.  Let cool completely on a cooling rack (NOT a cutting board, as I have done this before and the bread gets moist on the bottom).



Recipe source: H. Foster, directions by me, as there wasn't any written down on my recipe card
Picture Source: King Arthur





No comments:

Post a Comment