Sunday, January 12, 2014

Homemade Hamburger Buns

In my quest to make all of my own bread, I attempted to make hamburger buns.  They turned out delicious!  In fact, my 4 year old just wanted to eat the bun with ketchup and not the meat (what?!)  These buns turn out fabulous (not crumbly or soggy) and the egg wash makes the top harder and shiny, like a bun from your favorite restaurant.  I love going healthier so I subbed out 1 C whole wheat flour in the dough and it was good.  Not sure how much more wheat I would put in it than that though.....after all, its a burger!  Gotta live a little every once in awhile ;)  This recipe made 12 buns and we froze half for another time.  I got the recipe from my friend Rachelle over at To Die For Recipes  Thanks Rachelle for a keeper recipe!


1 c. milk
1 c. water
2 tbs. butter
1 tbs. sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt.  
5 1/2 c. flour (more or less) (I used 5 C)
1 pkg instant yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tbs. water

In a glass measuring cup, combine water, milk, butter and sugar. Microwave until liquid is warm/hot and let the butter melt in the milk mixture (let mixture cool till very warm). In a mixing bowl, combine 3 c. flour, salt, and yeast. When milk mixture has come to a very warm temperature, add to dry ingredients. Mix until combined, add more flour to desired consistency. Knead for 8 minutes, adding flour if dough become too sticky. Placed dough in a greased bowl in a warm draft free place (in the oven works best). Cover and let dough rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, and divide into 12 pieces. Grease a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. Roll each piece on dough into a ball, stretching it to make a smooth top, place in cookie sheet. Cover, and let rise for 25-45 more minutes or until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl combine egg yolk with water, and mix. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Recipe and Picture Source To Die For Recipes

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great recipe! My family has really enjoyed having homemade hamburger buns. I reviewed my experience with them at: http://www.anneopinion.com/?recipe=homemade-hamburger-buns
    Hope you can check it out! Thx!!

    ReplyDelete