Thursday, March 18, 2010

Granola Bars







So EXCITED!! Finally, a granola recipe that is yummy, relatively healthy and pretty easy. I've tried to make granola bars before and these are the best recipe that I've tried. Its a great snack to send off with the kids or husband with their lunches. For those of you who know me, I love it when I make something from scratch and it turns out better than something you buy at the store. My husband said these are definetly better than the Quaker granola bars. Nature Valley has some rockin' granola bars too....and it might be a close call but I still think I'd definetly pick this over anything at the store because it tastes so much fresher. It also doesn't have a zillion preservatives in it. Enjoy!


Oh, and I gotta do a plug for our ward. I got the recipe from the Enrichment group Self-Reliant Sisters. Check out the blog: http://www.selfreliantsisters.blogspot.com/




Granola Bars


by Alton Brown, (edited by Melanie Redd)

2 C old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 C raw sunflower seeds(I prefer the roasted ones, then you don't have to roast them yourself)
1 C sliced almonds
1/2 C wheat germ
1/2 C honey
1/4 C packed dark brown sugar
1/3 C unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 to 2 C chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. (I used a 9X13" pan and they turned out just the right thickness in my opinion. A 9X9 turns out pretty thick).




Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the oats, sunflower seeds (only roast sunflower seeds if using raw), and sliced almonds onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

DO NOT SKIMP ON THESE INGREDIENTS! Believe me, I've tried. If you cut out the brown sugar, they don't stick together as well and they aren't as soft. I'll let you know if I figure something out because I don't like them so sweet.




Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, wheat germ and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down firmly, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes.




Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week. *Hint*Cut bars while they are relatively still warm, but leave them in the pan. Then when completely cooled, remove from pan and put into a gallon sized ziplock baggie. If you wait until they are COMPLETELY COOLED to cut them, they are really difficult to cut. Trust me :) Also, don't plan on serving them warm. They will fall a part on ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment