Monday, March 7, 2011

Coconut-Pecan Bars

We have a ward luau every year and I usually volunteer to bring a dessert. Last year they asked us to bring pineapple upside down cake. This year they said it was potluck, but to try and bring something with coconut or pineapple....ya know....to keep with the luau theme and all. Well, I had no clue what to make, but I knew bars are always a good idea because you can make a whole pan of something and usually pretty fast. So I found this recipe in a trusty old book I got from the DI like 5 years ago for $1.00. Its titled "Cookies" by Natalie Hartanov Haughton-published 1983. That book is older than I am ha! My mom said to never experiment with recipes when you are serving it to someone else, but I figure if I'm experimenting on my ward, I can do whatever I want. Those people will eat anything ;)


Anyway, these bars turned out way different than I thought they would. They have a crust, but I was expecting a more solid, compact bar. Nope, it rose like crazy and turned out pretty thick and sort of fluffy like-not exactly like cake, but not really like a bar either. It was a cake/bar. Weird. It was different than what I expected, but in a good way. :) So, if you like pecan pie and coconut, you will like these bars. They have that pecan-pie taste with the brown sugar/pecans but its not gooey at all. Anyway, happy experimenting! Oh, and apologies for the lame picture. I waited till there was 3 bars left to take a picture. Of course. Sigh.


COCONUT-PECAN BARS
Crust:
1/2 C butter or margarine, room temperature
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 C all-purpose flour

Nutty Coconut Topping:
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 c flaked or shredded coconut
2 c coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat together butter or margarine and brown sugar until creamy. Beat in flour, blending thoroughly. Press mixture evenly in bottom of an ungreased 13" X 9" baking pan. Bake 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, prepare Nutty Coconut Topping. Carefully spread Nutty Coconut Topping evenly over hot crust. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan. While warm, cut into bars. Makes 36 (2-1/8" x 1-1/2") cookies.


Nutty Coconut Topping:
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and salt, blending well. Stir in coconut and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment